Scottish Bound Book Club: Companion Piece by Ali Smith
Our first book club selection of 2023 is Companion Piece by Ali Smith!
Described as “Scotland’s Nobel Laureate-in-waiting” by Irish Booker Prize winner Sebastian Barry, Ali Smith’s new novel explores companionship in all its forms
A woman receives an unexpected call from a former classmate asking for help deciphering a puzzling interaction, and from there, Smith spins out a broader story about loneliness, refuge and freedom.” —The New York Times Book Review
“Lyrical and timely…Smith’s novel will push readers to consider what it means to let people into your life, even when you don’t want to.” —TIME
Want to read ahead? Here’s a list of all our book club selections for the year. We will be discussing these books throughout 2023 on Zoom (each discussion will begin at 6 PM and last approximately one hour). We are currently working on contacting the authors, inviting them to join us in our conversation. We have our fingers crossed that at least one author (or maybe two!) will be able to join us. Here’s the list and the schedule below. We hope you can join us too! Happy reading.
- Companion Piece by Ali Smith – Fiction – Thursday, March 16th
- In: The Graphic Novel by Will McPhail – Thursday, April 20th
- Putting the Tea in Britain by Les Wilson – Thursday, November 9
- Gary Maclean’s Scottish Kitchen – September 15-17th at the NH Highland Games
- Children’s Book Selection TBD – Thursday, October 19th!